Thursday, June 11, 2009

Jobs, Internships, Callings ... sheesh

I think our blog is becoming another fatality of my student life. Sorry friends. I will try to be better. We've had a lot of things up in the air over the past two months and I keep waiting to know something to post ... but am finally realizing that time may not come for awhile still, so here's a quick little update.

It's finals week in the Kaemingk house. I am actually completely done, one whole week early. This is unusual ... and unfortunately (or fortunately? I don't know) has resulted in working a lot of extra hours at the Foundation. So really, not restful ... but making money which is good. Matthew is busy writing a paper because he reads all quarter and then pops out these beastly long papers in the last week or two of the quarter.

The Big News ... I have spent the last three months (no, that is not a typo) interviewing for a part time music director position at a Presbyterian church about 10 miles away. Over that time I have become increasingly excited about the possibilities of being involved (FINALLY) in Music Ministry in a church. The job would involve Sunday morning worship planning, leading the Adult Choir, and starting up a praise band and a blended worship service. Are you all wondering if this is really a 20 hour a week job? Yeah, me too. But it sounds SO exciting. My final interview was a week ago and it went incredibly well, but they're Presbyterian and move at their own slow pace, so we're still waiting to hear.

At the same time this was going on, I began doing some credit math and realized that the only way I will be able to graduate next June is if I do full time summer school and hit it pretty hard next year. This led to the decision to quit my job at the Fuller Foundation, which was a difficult and sad thing to do. I've loved working here and the perks and hours have been amazing. But to all things there is a season, and this is the season of finishing grad school. I work here one more week, and then head into summer intensive classes.

The other thing on the horizon is The Netherlands! Matt is enrolled in language school for the month of August to study dutch (and he could not be more excited). He's also been invited to present a paper for a conference at the Free University, which for a PhD student is a huge deal. This means he'll probably be out of country for 5 weeks or so. Depending on how the church job shakes out, I'm hoping to join him for a part of that.

OHHH ... and did I mention that our FIFTH WEDDING ANNIVERSARY is tomorrow???? Yay us :). I'll put a post up with pictures after we celebrate.

Well, much love to you all ... and I'll try to keep the posts more frequent!

5 comments:

Alisa said...

busy bees! don't worry about not posting -- it is just exciting when you do!:) The job sounds wonderful -- will you be able to do it and summer school full time?

The Kaemingk's said...

That's the hope ... and school next year full time with the job ... could make for a crazier year than this year, but I'm down for it I think ...

The Roberts Family said...

Love the update and CONGRATS on 5 wonderful years! Adam & I feel the freedom to speak on behalf of all your friends and say we're all thrilled you two got hitched! A heaven-made match :-) Keep us posted on the job situation...

Cari said...

Happy Anniversary: ) I hope you guys were able to celebrate by doing something really fun. You deserve it after all your hard work this year!! Keep us posted about the job..... ~hugs~

Sarah said...

Happy anniversary to you two! I love the sheesh part of your post. It sounds like your lives are full in a wonderful way so we are most happy for the Kaemingks.