No, we're not pregnant. Just putting that out there right off the bat! :)
In the middle of March I heard that there was a part time Director of Worship and Music position that had just posted at a church about 15 miles away from Pasadena at La Verne Heights Presbyterian Church. I sent in my resume, spoke with the Pastor, and went in a month later for my first interview. At the point of my interview I was feeling fairly middle of the road about the whole thing - I didn't know anything about the church at this point and was prepared, sad as it may sound, to be disappointed. Because lets face it ... for all that know me, I'm fairly particular with what I look for in a church. I was absolutely blown away by the worship committee. The questions they asked me were thoughtful and absolutely the things they should have asked me as an interviewee, and the answers they gave to the questions I asked lined right up with what I was hoping to hear. Ultimately, I was just incredibly impressed with them and left feeling so excited about the potential fit of me with the direction that the church is headed.
I was invited back to conduct the adult choir, a great source of fear for me at that point. I had never conducted an adult choir before and the thought of doing it for the first time in front of a committee and an unfamiliar choir drove me to a lot of practice and prayer. My dear professor at Fuller worked with me for three weeks on my conducting and I went to the audition feeling prepared although quite nervous. The rehearsal went incredibly well ... and what was even more surprising was that I had FUN ... a lot of fun in fact. Which of course, greatly increased my desire to be a part of this church and its worship.
Last week I got the word that I had been chosen! We met to discuss salary, logistics, etc, and by the grace of God that went incredibly well and everything worked out smoothly and quickly. Matthew and I were introduced to the congregation on Sunday and were blown away by the welcome we received. We both really feel that this will be a great place for me and a good fit for the congregation. I couldn't be more excited!
My official start day is next Monday. I will be a part-time employee, at 20 hours a week, which is perfect for finishing school and what not. My responsibilities include the adult choir, starting up and running a praise band, and weekly worship planning. I have about six weeks to prep the fall, most of which I will do in Washington once my summer classes are over. My first Sunday leading worship is September 13.
Anyways, sorry for the length but just wanted to share since I've been trying to keep this on the down low until I knew for sure what was going on. It's going to be a busy fall ... but I am STOKED to be doing what I want and be done with administrative work!!! Whew hew!!!
3 comments:
That's great Heather! We are glad you landed in a spot where you are excited to be there. Blessings on both of you.
YAhoo!! That's quite exciting news Heather, I am sure you are thrilled. Can't wait to hear how life changes now that you've got the "dream job." Oh, and thanks for the disclaimer at the beginning of this post, that title did indeed make me wonder... :-)
Oh, Heather. I am so delighted for you!
Post a Comment