Saturday, August 30, 2008

Why Washington is better than your state

As evidenced by the slew of pictures below. 

Matthew and I on the Butte overlooking the Columbia River (Chelan is on the other side of the butte).
Henry overlooking the Butte of Lake Chelan (affectionately dubbed his "lion picture")
Oh my goodness - isn't it beautiful??!! 
Matthew and I from the deck of the house in Chelan. Feel jealous ... we've been looking at this amazing view for two weeks. And it has been WONDERFUL. 
When we left Chelan we headed up to Anacortes to take the ferry to the San Juan Islands, where Matthew's dad is living. We took the North Cascades Highway which is absolutely incredible. This is us about halfway up to the summit. Doesn't Henry look excited to be involved in this picture? 
On the way down the west side of the pass you come to the gorgeous Lake Ross which is an amazing green color. Why, I'm not sure. But it was breathtaking. 



Okay, we now beam to Friday Harbor on the San Juans. On Monday we went whale watching! This time of year the orcas go through .... again, to where, I'm not sure. This is our new favorite Henry picture .... I don't think he really understood why we kept looking at the ocean, so he busied himself with the rocks and water. 
And we got so lucky!!! Right as we got to the other side of the island the J-Pod came through (at least that's what a fellow whale watcher told us it was). The pod consisted of about 40 orcas that came through in groups of 3-5 whales for over an hour. It was incredible. The highlight was a pod of three whales that came through practically RIGHT in front of us. Amazing. Here's the best pic we got ... this one was a little far away comparatively. 
This is Roach Harbor, on the far side of the island. We went for lunch and to look at the boats of the rich. The rich have big boats my friends. 
And we took the ferry home! We lucked out and the weather was beautiful and the sun was setting as we left the island. Mt. Baker is below, outlined by the San Juans. 

I just can't get over what a wonderful state Washington is. In the last three days we have gone from the desert beauty of Lake Chelan to the Northern Islands of the San Juans and are now in Seattle. There is just so much to see and do here and it is breathtakingly beautiful. If you live somewhere else (as we do) ... you are nuts. You should move here. If you can't move here, you should vacation here at least once a year. It will be good for your soul, I promise. 

8 comments:

Alisa said...

I agree completely!
And now I need to go to Lake Ross and I've been begging Kevin to take me to the San Juan Islands since we got married...maybe now that we again live in WA he will... Thanks for sharing those wonderful pictures!

JeffandKatyRiddell said...

You are SOOOOO right....Washington is way better than any other state. But we will find ways to enjoy Cali while you are here.

Cari said...

gorgeous pics heather! i definitely want to go visit those places now. we will have to make that one of our vacation spots at some point. i'm afraid that the hills here will not be nice and green for you guys when you get here. so get ready for the dry heat! i really hope you will be able to experience the nice bay area weather while you are here!

jennifer said...

Okay, so after reading your title I was going to give you a lecture on how Texas is the best state...however, your pictures might have proven me wrong. We definetly don't have that kind of scenery around these parts. I still won't live any other place than Texas, but will gladly visit the great state of Washington. It really is beautiful!

The Roberts Family said...

I concur. Your argument however is definitely strengthened with the addition of those gorgeouso pics. We're leaving for Maui tomorrow and that state may rival Washington. BUT, the diversity WA has to offer is great as I'm sure were we left to the Island for a few months we'd easily get bored there... :-) Well, maybe not. We miss you!

Unknown said...

Help me out... I am trying to pin down where all the arrogance comes from? Is it The scot in you, the dutch in Matt, the emotional high from not having to work, or the fact that you are bummed that the air in the place you are moving too causes cancer? =)

Pictures look cool... when are you going to take Cari, Lucy, the Baby and I up to hang out with you up there? Then I won't be so bitter.

I don't think you will have it too rough in California though... beaches, Yosemite, Napa, Giant, Sequoias, Redwoods, Lake Tahoe, the Bay Area, LA and San Diego.

Novenson said...

Wow....i want to visit....Matt and I headed out to CA for the first time ever in October to celebrate comps being over. I have never been to WA either and now I think I know the next trip...smile....michelle

kimi said...

It makes me weep. I love it here so much and thank God every day for the beauty he's given us to think of Him and his STUNNING creation!